Add Remote Desktop User to Windows 2008 Server
This article explains adding an additional Remote Desktop user to a Windows 2008 Server.
Dedicated, Colocated, and Virtual Machines running the Windows Operating System.
In order to add an additional Remote Desktop Administrator to the server, follow the steps below.
- Log into the server via Remote Desktop as an administrator.
- Right-click My Computer and choose Manage.
- Under Server Manager Expand Configuration --> Local Users and Groups --> Click Users
- Right-click the Users folder and select New User
- Enter in the User Name, secure password, and check whether or not the user should change the password on next login, whether or not the password should expire and/or the user can or cannot change the password. All of the other fields are optional.
- Click Create once your are done and the user is created.
- Click Close to go back to the Users menu.
- To grant the user permissions to log into Remote Desktop. Right-click the user just created and choose Properties.
- Click the Member Of tab, then Add.
- In the box type the level of access you want to grant the users
- Type "Administrators" To grant full privileges on the box.
- Type "Remote Desktop Users" To grant only Remote desktop access and level user privilege to minimal.
- Click OK
- Click Apply and OK.
The user can now log into the server via Remote Desktop.