Subject: Access Control: Remote Desktop Session Timeout
Type of Security Control: Administrative
The purpose of this procedure is to define the actions to configure remote desktop (RDP) session timeout limits in Windows 2008.
Applies to: Internal
Description: Remote desktop sessions can be configured so they don’t timeout prematurely or they can be set to a strict session time limit.
Applicable Compliance Statements:
• NIST SP800-53R4 AC-17
• Access to Windows Server 2008
Service Level Agreements: N/A
1. In Windows Server 2008 Navigate to Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Terminal Services > Terminal Services Configuration.
2. You will see the following screen.
3. Right-click your connection in the Connections window.
4. Select Properties.
5. In the Properties screen you will want to click on the Sessions tab and set the settings as needed.
6. The example below shows a one (1) hour max of active and idle sessions and will disconnect the session after that time has been reached.
7. Once you have the desired settings press Apply and/or OK and you now have new RDP session limits.
Owner: Chief Information Security Officer
Questions: Chief Information Security Officer