Sometimes, permissions can become corrupt for SmarterMail which prevents attachments from being displayed in webmail. This article goes over fixing this.
An error like this can sometimes be seen when trying to get the attachment:XML Parsing Error: no element found
Before you proceed, do a SmarterMail self-diagnostic (also known as checkup page), this will help you identify the problem.
- Log in to SmarterMail as the system administrator.
- Click Settings (top left).
- Under Activation click SmarterMail Self Diagnostic.
This will launch a separate window showing you the problem.
- C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\MRS\MailProcessing
- C:\Program Files (x86)\SmarterTools\SmarterMail\MRS\App_Data
IIS_USR needs modify permissions. To fix this, log into the server via RDC as the administrator and add the IUSR to these folders with modify permissions.